2013 Shining Light Award FAQ
Recognizing Excellence in Social Responsibility
What is the Shining Light Award?
The Shining Light: Leadership in Corporate Social Responsibility Award honors one UnitedHealthcare national accounts customer that has demonstrated excellence in social responsibility.
The Shining Light award winner receives the following:
- A donation of $25,000 to an eligible* nonprofit organization of the award recipient's choice
- Presentation of the award and recognition at the 2013 National Accounts Annual Customer Forum
- Optional presentation of award at the recipient's corporate office
- Communications announcing the recipient and a press release in the winner's local market
Who can apply for the Shining Light Award?
All UnitedHealthcare customers with 3,000 or more employees are eligible to apply for the Shining Light Award. Only one application is accepted per company. Previous winners cannot apply for three years after receipt of the award.
What is the nomination process and how do I apply?
Use our online nomination form to apply.
- Clients may nominate themselves, with the consent of their senior-most social responsibility executive; or
- UnitedHealthcare account teams may nominate their clients, with the consent of the client's senior-most social responsibility executive.
The brief application form requires short responses about the applicant's social responsibility program.
What is the deadline to submit a nomination?
Applications must be submitted through the website and received by UHC no later than midnight on Mar. 22, 2013, to be considered.
What are the criteria for the Shining Light Award?
The Shining Light Award recognizes a program that achieves overall excellence in social responsibility by addressing an important health or other basic need in society. The award is based the following criteria:
- Creation of shared value-providing mutual benefit to the company and to society
- Innovation and/or leadership in addressing the challenge
- Demonstration of impact and measurable results
What is the judging process?
A panel of UnitedHealth Group senior executives evaluates applications based on the criteria outlined above. The recipient and finalists will be recognized at the National Accounts Annual Customer Forum that will be held May 14 16 in Scottsdale, Ariz.
What if I have further questions?
For questions, please visit the award website or call your primary contact at UnitedHealthcare.
*Eligible organizations must be U.S. based 501(c)(3) nonprofits. Religious and political organizations are not eligible. Nonprofits cannot award the $25,000 grant to themselves.