Offer your retirees access to an intelligent choice of quality reputable health care plans while reducing your costs and theirs with our Connector Model.
What is the Connector Model?
The Connector Model is an exchange model that can help connect retirees to individual health coverage options based on their needs. We use a successful retiree engagement strategy to help the retiree feel comfortable and confident in their plan selection.
How can the Connector Model benefit my organization?
Our goal is to help you achieve your financial targets and realize greater operational efficiencies, while supporting a smooth and positive health care coverage transition for your retirees.
- Service. The transition for your retirees can be easy with our easy-to-understand educational materials, online tools, decision support services and Medicare-specialized call center
- Meaningful Choice. A portfolio of individual Medicare products and a group endorsed $0 Premium Medicare Advantage Plan offers retirees choice among the family of UnitedHealthcare’s products
- Richer Benefits. More health and wellness benefits and a broader drug formulary than individual Medicare Advantage and Original Medicare
- Low cost. Individual retiree health insurance plans provide some additional benefits when compared to typical group plans. These individual plans usually cost less.
- Tax-advantaged Retiree Reimbursement Accounts (RRAs). Retirees can select health plans and be reimbursed for qualified health care expenses
- Simplified Administration. A one-stop shop for multiple product offerings
How does it benefit retirees?
With the Connector Model, your retirees are able to choose the type of individual health coverage that best fits their needs and budget. Retirees can benefit from:
- Plan choice. We offer an array of distinct Medicare health care choices that meet a continuum of needs including Medicare Supplement, Medicare Advantage, Medicare Part D and Special Needs plans
- Comprehensive education and enrollment support. Retiree call center professionals, online tools and printed materials can help retirees choose the plan(s) that are right for them
- Convenience. Online capabilities can help retirees understand Medicare options and research plans based on price and location so retirees can choose the plan(s) that may be right for them
- Flexibility. We can customize our engagement strategy based on your needs and transition strategy
- Dental and vision coverage option. Available to retirees, their spouses and their dependent children.
What are the Employer Subsidy Options?
- Retiree Reimbursement Account (RRA)
You can help your retirees purchase an individual plan with tax-advantaged retiree reimbursement accounts through our financial services division (subject to qualification). Our RRAs offer automated monthly premium payments that may reduce your administration burden and free retirees from paying out-of- pocket (subject to account balance). You can also allow copay reimbursement. RRAs offer tremendous flexibility in the level and frequency of financial support. For example, a retiree can receive an annual fixed dollar subsidy or a single one-time lump sum credit at retirement.
- Split Billing
We also offer the option to split the bill between the employer and the retiree. Split billing is appealing because it mirrors how employers and retirees have traditionally managed employer subsidies. Employers are sent a monthly bill for the subsidized portion of retiree premiums; retirees are billed the remaining portion of the premium. Split billing is generally easy to understand for retirees and employers with no additional cost.
Learn more about the Connector Model
Talk with a representative about how the Connector Model can work for you.
Request more information
Read our disclaimer