- 2 (10-ounce) bags fresh spinach or 3 (10-ounce).boxes frozen chopped spinach
- 1 bunch of leeks, white and light green part only, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, seeded, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup light cream cheese
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 cup dry panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp. finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Remove large stems from spinach. Chop spinach into 1-inch pieces. If using frozen,spinach, defrost and squeeze out excess water.
- Saute spinach until wilted, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- Place olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add leaks, red peppers and garlic, sauté for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add cream cheese and heat to combine. Add spinach, milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Place in a 1-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and sprinkle over spinach. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Calories from Fat: 35%
Saturated Fat: 2.3g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
Recipe by Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD