Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours, 10 minutes
- 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced crosswise 1/2 in. thick
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 lb. flank steak, cut crosswise into thirds
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 mango, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- In a 5- to 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, chili powder, cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Nestle the beef among the vegetables and cook, covered, until the meat is tender and easily pulls apart, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Twenty-five minutes before serving, cook the rice according to package directions. Using two forks, shred the beef, then stir it into the cooking liquid. Serve with the rice, and top with the mango and cilantro.
Serving Tip: This hearty braise is even better the next day. For Mexican flair, try serving it with warm tortillas, fresh salsa and sliced avocado.
Saturated Fat: 4g
Dietary Fiber: 4g