UnitedHealthcare offers a range of innovative programs and services aimed at tipping the scales against the rising, related epidemics of diabetes, prediabetes and obesity in the U.S. We are driving meaningful change in the health of our nation by applying our broad assets in technology, health data, evidence-based medical decision-making, disease management and wellness programs to enhance and expand the prevention and management of serious, costly chronic conditions.
- The United States of Diabetes: New report shows half the country could have diabetes or prediabetes at a cost of $3.35 trillion by 2020 (Nov. 23 news release)
- UnitedHealth Group emphasizes awareness and action against diabetes and pre-diabetes during National Diabetes Awareness Month (Nov. 9 news release)
- Seven tips for people with diabetes to avoid heat-related illnesses (Aug. 2 news release)
Events and Resources
Learn about the causes of diabetes and steps for prevention, in our Diabetes section on Source4Women. The section covers pre-diabetes, type 2 diabetes, and how to control diabetes with exercise.
View a video series on pre-diabetes and diabetes management.
Webinar: Eating to Prevent and Control Diabetes Nutritionist Kathleen Zelman provides tips on diet and lifestyle changes that can help you prevent the onset of diabetes and manage the condition with greater success. (View webinar)
Take the Diabetes Risk Assessment to better understand the potential risk factors involved in developing diabetes.
Diabetes Prevention and Control Alliance
Earlier this year, UnitedHealthcare became the first health plan to pay for evidence-based diabetes prevention and control programs for its enrollees with employer-sponsored coverage when UnitedHealth Group introduced the Diabetes Prevention & Control Alliance (DPCA), in partnership with the YMCA and Walgreens.
We Can Tip the Scales Video about diabetes prevention and management, and details about alliance programs with comments from medical experts.
- UnitedHealth Group launches innovative alliance providing free access to programs that help prevent and control diabetes and obesity (April 14 news release)
- Novo Nordisk joins other key partners to enroll patients in UnitedHealth Group's Diabetes Prevention and Control Alliance programs (Sept. 29 news release)
- Diabetes Health Plan Fact Sheet (PDF format)
- Diabetes Prevention: Research to Reality Presentation by Deneen Vojta, MD, senior vice president with UnitedHealth Group, at the CDC's Diabetes Translation Conference.
Using Data to Prevent and Control Diabetes
UnitedHealthcare's Health in Numbers campaign shows how we take an enormous amount of information and data, and work to translate that into improving the quality of life for millions of Americans. Visit the Health in Numbers site to learn more about the campaign and watch our commercial related to our efforts to help improve diabetes management.