Summer Travel and Health Insurance
Do you know what your health insurance covers if a medical emergency occurs while you're on vacation?
INDIANAPOLIS (June 28, 2011) Summer is here and it's time to get away. But while you are making vacation plans, take a few minutes to think about what you might do if an unexpected medical emergency should occur, especially if you are traveling away from home.
Before you pack your bags it is important to make sure you are prepared to handle a medical emergency while you are on the road.
Below are a few tips from UnitedHealthcare's Golden Rule Insurance Company to help you prepare for your summer vacation.
- Make sure you understand your medical insurance coverage before you leave home. Determine what your out-of-pocket expenses would be if you need to visit a doctor or emergency room while traveling.
- Find out which urgent care centers, hospitals and pharmacies located in your destination city participate in your health plan's care provider networks. Check your insurer's website from your cell phone or computer, or bring a list of in-network care providers with you if you don't have mobile access.
- Always carry your health insurance identification card in your wallet or purse. It will make it easier to contact your insurance company if you or health care providers and facilities have questions about coverage.
- Bring a list of your prescription drugs. If you take over-the-counter drugs regularly, include those as well.
- If you plan to travel abroad, learn whether your health insurance plan covers treatment outside of the United States. Make note of what documentation you need and the process for filing claims for treatment received outside of the country if treatment is covered. Consider buying an international health insurance policy before you leave if overseas medical expenses are not covered.
About Golden Rule
A leading provider of health insurance for individuals and families for 65 years, Golden Rule became a UnitedHealthcare company in 2003. UnitedHealthcare's personal health and dental plans are offered in 40 states and the District of Columbia, and marketed under the UnitedHealthOne brand. For more information, consumers can call 1-800-444-8990, visit their website or contact a local independent insurance broker who offers Golden Rule health and dental plans.