UnitedHealthcare's Online Health and Entertainment Network UHC.TV Delivers Original Programming From National Personalities and General Consumers
NEW YORK (April 5, 2012) UnitedHealthcare today launched UHC.TV, an online health and entertainment network that provides originally produced video programming on a variety of health and wellness topics to help educate and inspire viewers to live healthy lives.
The health-related online video channel delivers fun and engaging content aimed at encouraging viewers to make personally appropriate health choices. Many people are integrating online and social media resources into their everyday lives and UnitedHealthcare is utilizing these information sources to make it easy for people to access health information from leaders in health care and to share tips, insight and encouragement from people like themselves.
The programming is free and available to the general public by simply visiting www.uhc.tv. Following are the programs airing today on UHC.TV:
- "Sidewalk Talks" A series of humorous interviews of "average Joes and Janes" from sidewalks across America to help clarify the myths and truths about a variety of health and wellness topics.
- "Healthy Life" Ten-minute motivational and inspirational talks by nationally renowned speakers, including authors Dan Buettner and Gail Sheehy, futurist Jack Uldrich, former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Joycelyn Elders, Olympic Gold-Medalist Scott Hamilton, and others.
- "Funny Bone" A variety of comedians talk about serious life matters in a light-hearted, comedic way.
- "Expert Alley" Health care professionals provide information on various health topics including diabetes, headaches, eye care, kids' brain development, dental health and menopause.
- "Health Insurance 101" Educational videos to help consumers understand how their benefits work and the latest on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- "Medicare" Tips and useful information on how people can make the most of their Medicare plan.
Additional programming will be added on a regular basis and communicated via Twitter at @myUHC. Viewers can sign up for real-time programming alerts when new interviews and videos are posted. Today, for example, Dr. Mehmet Oz, nutritionist Joy Bauer, professional athlete Laila Ali, reality TV personality Matt Roloff, and bestselling author Harvey MacKay are taping UHC.TV programs in New York City.
"An increasing number of consumers prefer to access and share information via their social networks online and through their smartphones," said Yasmine Winkler, UnitedHealthcare's chief marketing & product officer. "With UHC.TV we are making it simple and engaging for people to learn about their personal health because improving patients' decisions, whether related to lifestyle or their access to care, is critical to their total health."
UHC.TV is the latest step in UnitedHealthcare's efforts to enhance how it delivers health content to consumers. The company partnered with Comcast Corporation last month to begin creating video-on-demand programming focused on diabetes prevention to help prevent type 2 diabetes.
Online information and videos are increasing in popularity and becoming preferred content. According to a TNS global market research study, people with online access cite digital sources as their No. 1 media channel. The study also found 61 percent of online users use the Internet daily, compared to 54 percent for TV, 36 percent for radio and 32 percent for newspapers.
For more information about UnitedHealthcare's products, services and consumer initiatives, visit www.uhc.com or follow @myUHC on Twitter.
UnitedHealthcare is dedicated to helping people nationwide live healthier lives by simplifying the health care experience, meeting consumer health and wellness needs, and sustaining trusted relationships with care providers. The company offers the full spectrum of health benefit programs for individuals, employers and Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries, and contracts directly with more than 650,000 physicians and care professionals and 5,000 hospitals nationwide. UnitedHealthcare serves more than 38 million people and is one of the businesses of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH), a diversified Fortune 50 health and well-being company.