Be a Smart Patient
Download the smart patient app to help you keep track of key health numbers, record doctors' instructions, get checklists and more.
Health care benefits can be complex and confusing. And tips for staying healthy seem to change daily. UnitedHealthcare's online tools and information resources can help you make sense of it all.
Take charge of your health and wellness choices
Be proactive about your well-being. If offered by your health plan, use tools and resources to:
- Learn more about your coverage
- Look up doctors and hospitals
- Organize your medical claims
- Use tools that help you make decisions
- Learn more about health conditions and treatment options that you can discuss with your doctor
- Help improve your health with online wellness coaches and health assessments
Your 24-Hour Nurse
You can call and speak with a registered nurse anytime, anywhere to:
- Get resources to manage an illness or injury
- Recognize urgent and emergency symptoms
- Locate doctors and hospitals in your area that meet criteria for quality and efficiency of care
- Understand medication interactions and how to reduce your prescription costs
- Find a doctor or specialist, and check if a doctor is in your network and available
The nurse may even be able to make an appointment for you and assist you in coordinating your medical records.
To talk to a nurse, call the customer care number on the back of your health plan ID card.
Remember to make preventive care appointments
Preventive care visits with your doctor can help you stay healthy. This includes staying on top of common screenings, tests and immunizations.
Use our online tool to find out which immunizations and screenings are recommended for you.
Search for UnitedHealth Premium® physicians
Not all health care is equal, and that can affect the care you receive. According to a study in The New England Journal of Medicine, "adults receive the recommended medical treatment only 55 percent of the time."1 That's why UnitedHealthcare developed the UnitedHealth Premium® designation program, which recognizes physicians that meet guidelines for providing quality and cost efficient care.
The program uses national industry standards to evaluate for quality and local market benchmarks for cost efficiency across 25 specialties, including family practice, internal medicine, pediatrics, cardiology and orthopaedics.
The designation results are displayed publicly in UnitedHealthcare's physician directories (e.g., myuhc.com) to support informed decision-making by members when making health care choices and by physicians when making referrals.
Innovative Benefit Plan Designs
In addition, employers may offer health benefit programs (e.g., reduced cost-sharing or tiered benefit plans) that provide benefit incentives for members to use UnitedHealth Premium Tier 1 physicians.
Members in health plans that offer tiered benefits may pay lower co-pays and co-insurance amounts for services provided by UnitedHealth Premium Tier 1 physicians.
UnitedHealth Premium Tier 1 physicians have received one of the following Premium designations:
- Quality and Cost Efficiency
- Cost Efficiency and Not Enough Data to Assess Quality