Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 2 jars (4 oz each) baby-food strained carrots
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp each baking soda and ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp each salt and ground nutmeg
- 1/3 tsp ground cloves
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Orange Cream Cheese Icing
- 3 oz low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange peel
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350°F. Have baking sheet(s) ready.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl with mixer on medium speed. Beat in strained carrots, egg, orange peel, orange juice, baking soda, ground cinnamon, salt, ground nutmeg, and ground cloves one at a time until blended (mixture may look curdled).
- With mixer on low speed, beat in flour just until blended. Stir in the walnuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until tops look dry. Cool on baking sheet 1 minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Icing: Beat cream cheese, butter, orange peel and juice until creamy. Beat in confectioners' sugar until blended and smooth. Spread about 11/2 tsp on each cookie; sprinkle with walnuts. Let icing set 1 to 2 hours.
Planning Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container with wax paper between layers up to 1 week. These cookies have a soft, cakelike texture.
Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat: 5g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Total Carbohydrates: 18g
Dietary Fiber: 0
Back to Healthy Recipes