Orange Rice Pudding
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 5 hours
- 2⁄3 cup Arborio rice
- 8 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups protein-fortified fat-free milk
- 3 Tbsp each packed light brown sugar and granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cardamom or cinnamon
- Place rice in sieve. Rinse under cold water, stirring with fingers to remove excess surface starch. Place in a 5-qt saucepan with water and salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and boil 7 minutes, or until tender. Drain rice; return to pot.
- Stir milk and sugars into rice until sugars dissolve. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a slow simmer. Stir frequently at first and constantly toward the end, for about 25 minutes, or until rice doubles in size, is very soft and tender, and milk has the consistency of heavy cream.
- Pour into a bowl; stir in vanilla, orange zest and cardamom. Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool. Refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours, before serving.
Orange Rice Pudding Parfaits: For each parfait, spoon 1⁄4 cup orange rice pudding into a glass, then top with 3 orange sections, 1 Tbsp thawed reduced-calorie whipped topping and 1 tsp fat-free butterscotch caramel topping. Repeat layers.
Total Fat 2g
Saturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrates 51g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Back to Healthy Recipes