Hearty Beef Chili
Cooking onions, garlic and beef together adds extra flavor to chili. Reducing the amount of ground beef and adding extra beans and some vegetables turns this classic dish into a hearty but nutritious meal.
- 3/4 lb. lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 cans (14 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 2 T flour
- 1 T chili powder (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 2 cans (15 oz.) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
In a heavy pot, sauté the ground beef with onion and garlic until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle flour over mixture; cook and stir for two to three minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until flavors are blended. If too thick, add a little water.