Orange Chicken with Wilted Spinach Salad
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 4 large navel oranges
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, tenderloins removed (about 6 oz each)
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 bag (5 or 6 oz) baby spinach
- Toasted sliced almonds, optional
- Squeeze juice from 1 orange (you should have 1/2 cup). Whisk orange juice, 3 tablespoons of the oil, the vinegar, honey, salt and pepper in small bowl. Place 5 Tbsp juice mixture into a large ziptop bag. Add chicken, seal bag and marinate at room temperature 15 minutes or in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, remove peel and white pith from remaining 3 oranges. Cut into segments; place in medium bowl.
- Heat stovetop grill pan over medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade; discard bag and marinade. Grill chicken 4 to 5 minutes per side until cooked through; remove to plate and cover to keep warm.
- Heat remaining Tbsp oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion 1 minute, add remaining juice mixture and cook 1 minute more. Remove skillet from heat; add orange segments.
- Place spinach in large bowl; toss with half the orange mixture. Evenly divide spinach onto serving plates; place a chicken breast on top of each. Spoon remaining orange mixture on top; sprinkle with almonds.
Note: The oranges enhance the iron absorption from spinach.
Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat: 13g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Total Carbohydrates: 26g
Dietary Fiber: 5g
Back to Healthy Recipes