Artichoke and Parmesan Spread
This classic spread maintains its rich flavor with far less of the usual fat. Serve with cut-up pieces of whole-wheat pita or wholegrain crackers.
- 1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place artichoke hearts in the center of a clean kitchen towel; gather up the ends and twist firmly to extract all the moisture.
Combine the artichokes, Parmesan cheese (all but one tablespoon), mayonnaise, garlic, lemon zest and cayenne pepper in a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Season with salt and black pepper.
Spread the mixture in an even layer in a small ovenproof gratin dish. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and bake until the top is golden, about 15 minutes. Serve warm.
About 20 servings, 1 tablespoon each
Back to Healthy Recipes