New England Seafood Chowder
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 8 oz. red new potatoes, cut in eighths
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn or 1 can (11 oz.) corn niblets, drained
- 1 can (10 oz.) condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 8 oz. cod fillets, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 oz. raw large shrimp, peeled
- 1 cup milk
- 4 slices precooked bacon (from a 2.1-oz. box)
- Place leeks, potatoes and corn in a 3 1/2-qt. or larger slow cooker. Add soup, water, bay leaf, thyme and cayenne; mix gently.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours until potatoes are tender. Add seafood about 15 minutes before serving; heat until fish is just cooked through. Stir in milk; remove bay leaf. Turn off heat.
- Heat bacon as package directs; crumble over bowls of chowder.
Saturated Fat: 2g
Dietary Fiber: 3g