Chicken Soup with Lime
Take a break from traditional chicken noodle soup. This spicy chicken and lime combo with a Mexican flair is ready to serve in just minutes.
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 serrano chili peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 large tomato, halved, seeded and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock, low sodium
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 5 T lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake for 3 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Put on a plate to cool.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the onions, garlic and chili peppers. Cook 3 to 4 minutes until onions are soft. Stir in tomatoes, broth and chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in 4 T of the lime juice and the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Add more lime juice if desired.
Separate into bowls and distribute tortilla chips on top of each bowl.
4 servings, 1 cup each
Back to Healthy Recipes