Heart Healthy Pumpkin Soup
This creamy soup is the perfect starter before dinner or is satisfying enough as the
centerpiece of a meal when paired with a nourishing salad and whole grain bread.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin without salt
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
- 2 cups low fat milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup unsalted pumpkin seeds kernels, toasted
- Heat a heavy bottom pot over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion and yellow peppers in olive oil 5-7 minutes until caramelized; add garlic, nutmeg and cumin and continue cooking 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin, sweet potato, chicken stock and apple juice; simmer covered until sweet potato is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Use a handheld blender (or purée in batches) to purée soup until smooth.
- Add milk, salt and pepper; simmer but do not boil.
- Serve, garnish with parsley and pumpkin seeds.
Saturated Fat: 1g
Recipe by Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD