Know the Warning Signs: When a Loved One Needs Help
As a friend or family member, it is important to recognize when a loved one might need extra help. If you see changes in their behavior or routine, or things just don't seem right, follow your instincts and look for these warning signs:
- Poor grooming, such as stains on clothes and infrequent bathing.
- Sudden mood changes or easily becoming angry, suspicious or paranoid.
- Reluctant or resistant to spending time with others.
- Prolonged sadness.
- Poor or decreased judgment, such as stove burners left on or doors unlocked.
- Mishandling finances or not paying bills.
- Not taking medication or using an incorrect dose.
- Loss of initiative or lack of interest in normal activities.
- Increased forgetfulness or confusion, such as missed doctor appointments or skipping family events.
- Changes in eating habits and less interest in nutritious meals.
- Difficulty walking, unsteadiness or frequent falls.