Be good to yourself
Exercise and healthful eating might help keep you going, but successful aging is also a psychological feat. Studies show that loneliness can speed aging no matter how well you care for your body. People who maintain a network of social support do best. Companionship aside, healthy people seem to share a stress-hardy personality an ability to manage stress and see change as a challenge in life.
Keep your sense of humor. A good laugh relaxes muscles, lowers blood pressure and reduces levels of hormones that create stress and suppress immunity. Research shows that facial expression can change a person's mood and ultimately their outlook on life.
Here are some ideas for being good to yourself:
- Get enough sleep.
- Stay connected with family and friends.
- Join a walking group, or other social group.
- Surround yourself with people whose company you enjoy.
- Volunteer or get active with groups in your community.
- Try a part-time job at a place you would enjoy working for a few hours a week.
- Watch a funny movie and laugh.
- Take up a hobby such as playing cards, gardening, cooking, or dancing.