The greatest health strengths and challenges in Colorado
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Colorado.
Colorado is ranked 10th in the country for overall health –which is the same ranking it received in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Colorado health strengths
- Low prevalence of obesity
- Low economic hardship index score
- Low prevalence of physical inactivity
- 34% decrease in smoking from 18.3% to 12% of adults between 2011 and 2021
Colorado health challenges
- High prevalence of excessive drinking
- Low rate of high school graduation
- Low prevalence of having a dedicated health care provider
- 28% increase in frequent mental distress from 11.1% to 14.2% of adults between 2018 and 2021
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Colorado may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.