The greatest health strengths and challenges in Illinois
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Illinois.
Illinois is ranked 26th in the country for overall health – which is the same ranking the state received in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Illinois health strengths
- Low prevalence of frequent mental distress
- Low percentage of household food insecurity
- High adult flu vaccination rate
- 55% increase in mental health providers from 193.8% to 300.4% per 100,000 population between 2017 and 2022
- 23% decrease in smoking from 15.5% to 12% of adults between 2018 and 2021
Illinois health challenges
- High racial disparity in premature death rates
- High prevalence of physical inactivity
- High levels of air pollution
- 28% increase in drug deaths from 21.9 to 28 deaths per 100,000 population between 2019 and 2020
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Illinois may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.
Breaking down the findings from America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report
The latest findings highlight some of the greatest health challenges and strengths across the nation, with racial and ethnic disparities coming into sharp focus.
Uncover more ways to help clients save.
Discover plans, strategies and products that may help improve engagement.
Find ways clients and their employees may help simplify the experience, make healthier choices and lower costs.
Explore the innovative strategies that aim to help make health care work better for employers and their employees.