The greatest health strengths and challenges in Maine
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Maine.
Maine is ranked 12th in the country for overall health – an improvement from a ranking of 21 in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Maine health strengths
- Low racial disparity in premature death rates
- High prevalence of having a dedicated health care provider
- Low levels of air pollution
- 42% decrease in food insecurity from 16.5% to 9.5% of households between 2014 and 2016, as well as 2019 and 2021
- 29% decrease in uninsured from 8% to 5.7% of the population between 2019 and 2021
Maine health challenges
- High prevalence of multiple chronic conditions
- High Black/white residential segregation
- High prevalence of physical inactivity
- 21% increase in frequent mental distress from 12.6% to 15.2% of adults between 2020 and 2021
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Maine may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.
Breaking down the findings from America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report
The latest findings highlight some of the greatest health challenges and strengths across the nation, with racial and ethnic disparities coming into sharp focus.
Uncover more ways to help clients save.
Discover plans, strategies and products that may help improve engagement.
Find ways clients and their employees may help simplify the experience, make healthier choices and lower costs.
Explore the innovative strategies that aim to help make health care work better for employers and their employees.