The greatest health strengths and challenges in Nebraska
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Nebraska.
Nebraska is ranked 16th in the country for overall health – an improvement from a ranking of 17 in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Nebraska health strengths
- Low prevalence of multiple chronic conditions
- Low economic hardship index score
- High adult flu vaccination rate
- 14% decrease in uninsured from 8.3% to 7.1% of the population between 2019 and 2021
Nebraska health challenges
- High racial disparities in premature deaths
- High prevalence of excessive drinking
- High percentage of household food insecurity
- 16% increase in frequent mental distress from 11.3% to 13.1% of adults between 2019 and 2021
- 21% increase in obesity from 29.6% to 35.9% of adults between 2013 and 2021
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Nebraska may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.