The greatest health strengths and challenges in South Carolina
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in South Carolina.
South Carolina is ranked 41st in the country for overall health – an improvement from a ranking of 42 in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
South Carolina health strengths
- Low Black/white residential segregation
- High prevalence of colorectal cancer screening
- Low levels of air pollution
- 51% increase in HPV vaccination among adolescents ages 13 to 17 from 41.2% to 62.1% between 2018 and 2021
- 11% increase in high-speed internet from 81.6% to 90.2% of households between 2016 and 2021
South Carolina health challenges
- High premature death rate
- High prevalence of frequent mental distress
- High percentage of household food insecurity
- 53% increase in drug deaths from 22.2 to 34 deaths per 100,000 population between 2019 and 2020
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of South Carolina may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.