The greatest health strengths and challenges in Connecticut
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Connecticut.
Connecticut is ranked 4th in the country for overall health –which is the same ranking it received in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Connecticut health strengths
- Low prevalence of frequent physical distress
- Low economic hardship index score
- Low prevalence of cigarette smoking
- 17% decrease in excessive drinking from 19% to 15.7% of adults between 2018 and 2021
- 31% decrease in food insecurity from 12.9% to 9.6% of households between 2012 and 2014, as well as between 2019 and 2021
Connecticut health challenges
- High income inequality
- High prevalence of high-risk HIV behaviors
- High percentage of housing with lead risk
- 18% increase in premature death from 6,154 to 7,274 years lost before age 75 per 100,000 population between 2019 and 2020
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Connecticut may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
Learn more about the factors impacting the health of Connecticut.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.
Breaking down the findings from America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report
The latest findings highlight some of the greatest health challenges and strengths across the nation, with racial and ethnic disparities coming into sharp focus.
Explore strategies for your clients
Find ways clients and their employees can simplify the experience, make healthier choices and lower costs.
Explore the innovative strategies that are helping make health care work better for employers and their employees.