The greatest health strengths and challenges in Massachusetts
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Massachusetts.
Massachusetts is ranked 2nd in the country for overall health – which is the same ranking it received in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Massachusetts health strengths
- Low premature death rate
- High reading proficiency among fourth grade public school students
- Low uninsured rate
- 32% increase in mental health providers from 547.3 to 722.2 per 100,000 population between 2017 and 2022
- 16% decrease in suicide from 10.4 to 8.7 deaths per 100,000 population between 2018 and 2020
Massachusetts health challenges
- High prevalence of excessive drinking
- High income inequality
- High percentage of housing with lead risk
- 68% increase in non-medical drug use from 7.3% to 12.3% of adults between 2021 and 2022
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Massachusetts may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
Learn more about the factors impacting the health of Massachusetts.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.
Breaking down the findings from America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report
The latest findings highlight some of the greatest health challenges and strengths across the nation, with racial and ethnic disparities coming into sharp focus.
Explore strategies for your clients
Find ways clients and their employees can simplify the experience, make healthier choices and lower costs.
Explore the innovative strategies that are helping make health care work better for employers and their employees.