The greatest health strengths and challenges in Mississippi
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Mississippi.
Mississippi is ranked 49th in the country for overall health – a slight improvement from a ranking of 50 in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Mississippi health strengths
- Low prevalence of excessive drinking
- Low Black/white residential segregation
- Low percentage of housing with lead risk
- 31% decrease in occupational fatalities from 9.8 to 6.8 deaths per 100,000 workers between 2014 and 2016, as well as 2018 and 2020.
- 12% increase in high-speed internet from 76.2% to 85.2% of households between 2016 and 2021
Mississippi health challenges
- High premature death rate
- High percentage of household food insecurity
- High prevalence of physical inactivity
- 50% increase in drug deaths from 13.5 to 20.3 deaths per 100,000 population btween 2019 and 2020
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Mississippi may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.
Breaking down the findings from America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report
The latest findings highlight some of the greatest health challenges and strengths across the nation, with racial and ethnic disparities coming into sharp focus.
Uncover more ways to help clients save.
Discover plans, strategies and products that can improve engagement.
Find ways clients and their employees can simplify the experience, make healthier choices and lower costs.
Explore the innovative strategies that are helping make health care work better for employers and their employees.