The greatest health strengths and challenges in Missouri
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Missouri.
Missouri is ranked 39th in the country for overall health – which is the same ranking the state received in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Missouri health strengths
- High supply of primary care providers
- Low prevalence of high-risk HIV behaviors
- Low percentage of households experiencing severe housing problems
- 66% increase in HPV vaccination among adolescents from 35.8% to 59.3% between 2016 and 2021
- 9% increase in high-speed internet from 83.5% to 91.1% of households between 2016 and 2021
Missouri health challenges
- High premature death rate
- High percentage of household food insecurity
- High prevalence of cigarette smoking
- 9% increase in obesity from 34% to 37.2% of adults between 2020 and 2021
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Missouri may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
Learn more about the factors impacting the health of Missouri.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.
Breaking down the findings from America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report
The latest findings highlight some of the greatest health challenges and strengths across the nation, with racial and ethnic disparities coming into sharp focus.
Explore strategies for your clients
Find ways clients and their employees can simplify the experience, make healthier choices and lower costs.
Explore the innovative strategies that are helping make health care work better for employers and their employees.