The greatest health strengths and challenges in New York
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in New York.
New York is ranked 23rd in the country for overall health – a decline from a ranking of 11 in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
New York health strengths
- Low prevalence of frequent mental distress
- Low prevalence of multiple chronic conditions
- Low uninsured rate
- 13% decrease in excessive drinking from 18.8% to 16.4% of adults between 2017 and 2021
New York health challenges
- High income inequality
- High Black/white residential segregation
- High percentage of households experiencing severe housing problems
- 31% increase in premature death from 5,825 to 7,651 years lost before age 75 per 100,000 population between 2019 and 2020
- 11% increase in obesity from 26.3% to 29.1% of adults between 2020 and 2021
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of New York may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.
Breaking down the findings from America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report
The latest findings highlight some of the greatest health challenges and strengths across the nation, with racial and ethnic disparities coming into sharp focus.
Uncover more ways to help clients save.
Discover plans, strategies and products that may help improve engagement.
Find ways clients and their employees may help simplify the experience, make healthier choices and lower costs.
Explore the innovative strategies that aim to help make health care work better for employers and their employees.