The greatest health strengths and challenges in Ohio
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Ohio.
Ohio is ranked 37th in the country for overall health – a slight improvement from a ranking of 38 in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Ohio health strengths
- Low occupational fatality rate
- High supply of mental health providers
- Low percentage of households experiencing severe housing problems
- 36% decrease in food insecurity from 16.9% to 10.8% of households between 2012 and 2014, as well as 2019 and 2021
- 10% decrease in suicide from 15.7 to 14.1 deaths per 100,000 population between 2018 and 2020
Ohio health challenges
- High prevalence of frequent mental distress
- High prevalence of multiple chronic conditions
- High prevalence of cigarette smoking
- 27% increase in obesity from 29.8% to 37.7% of adults between 2015 and 2021
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Ohio may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.
Breaking down the findings from America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report
The latest findings highlight some of the greatest health challenges and strengths across the nation, with racial and ethnic disparities coming into sharp focus.
Uncover more ways to help clients save.
Discover plans, strategies and products that can improve engagement.
Find ways clients and their employees can simplify the experience, make healthier choices and lower costs.
Explore the innovative strategies that are helping make health care work better for employers and their employees.