The greatest health strengths and challenges in Oklahoma
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Oklahoma.
Oklahoma is ranked 45th in the country for overall health – an improvement from a ranking of 46 in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Oklahoma health strengths
- Low prevalence of excessive drinking
- High supply of mental health providers
- Low percentage of households experiencing severe housing problems
- 11% increase in high-speed internet of households from 81.1% to 90.4% between 2016 and 2021
Oklahoma health challenges
- High prevalence of non-medical drug use
- High percentage of household food insecurity
- High uninsured rate
- 22% increase in frequent mental distress from 14.2% to 17.4% of adults between 2016 and 2021
- 16% decrease in fourth grade reading proficiency from 28.5% to 24% of fourth grade public school students between 2019 and 2022
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Oklahoma may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
Learn more about the factors impacting the health of Oklahoma.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.
Breaking down the findings from America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report
The latest findings highlight some of the greatest health challenges and strengths across the nation, with racial and ethnic disparities coming into sharp focus.
Explore strategies for your clients
Find ways clients and their employees can simplify the experience, make healthier choices and lower costs.
Explore the innovative strategies that are helping make health care work better for employers and their employees.