The greatest health strengths and challenges in Texas
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Texas.
Texas is ranked 38th in the country for overall health – a decline from a ranking of 34 in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Texas health strengths
- Low prevalence of frequent mental distress
- Low prevalence of multiple chronic conditions
- Low prevalence of cigarette smoking
- 11% increase in high-speed internet of households from 82.9% to 92% between 2016 and 2021
- 12% increase in mental health providers from 133 to 148.6 per 100,000 population between 2021 and 2022
Texas health challenges
- High economic hardship index score
- High percentage of household food insecurity
- High uninsured rate
- 38% increase in drug deaths from 10.4 to 14.3 deaths per 100,000 population between 2016 and 2020
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Texas may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.
Breaking down the findings from America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report
The latest findings highlight some of the greatest health challenges and strengths across the nation, with racial and ethnic disparities coming into sharp focus.
Explore strategies for your clients
Find ways clients and their employees can simplify the experience, make healthier choices and lower costs.
Explore the innovative strategies that are helping make health care work better for employers and their employees.