The greatest health strengths and challenges in Vermont
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Vermont.
Vermont is ranked 3rd in the country for overall health – a decline from a ranking of 1 in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Vermont health strengths
- Low prevalence of non-medical drug use
- Low economic hardship index score
- Low uninsured rate
- 40% decrease in food insecurity from 13.2% to 7.9% of households between 2011 and 2013, as well as 2019 and 2021
- 28% increase in mental health providers from 407.3 to 522.2 per 100,000 population between 2017 and 2022
Vermont health challenges
- High prevalence of excessive drinking
- High prevalence of frequent mental distress
- Low percentage of households with high-speed internet
- 42% increase in drug deaths from 22.4 to 31.7 deaths per 100,000 population between 2017 and 2020
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Vermont may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
Learn more about the factors impacting the health of Vermont.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.
Breaking down the findings from America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report
The latest findings highlight some of the greatest health challenges and strengths across the nation, with racial and ethnic disparities coming into sharp focus.
Explore strategies for your clients
Find ways clients and their employees can simplify the experience, make healthier choices and lower costs.
Explore the innovative strategies that are helping make health care work better for employers and their employees.