The greatest health strengths and challenges in Virginia
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Virginia.
Virginia is ranked 14th in the country for overall health – an improvement from a ranking of 15 in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Virginia health strengths
- Low economic hardship index score
- Low percentage of household food insecurity
- High adult flu vaccination rate
- 14% decrease in uninsured from 7.9% to 6.8% of the population between 2019 and 2021
Virginia health challenges
- High income inequality
- High occupational fatality rate
- Low supply of mental health providers
- 47% increase in frequent mental distress from 10% to 14.7% of adults between 2014 and 2021
- 13% increase in obesity from 30.3% to 34.2% of adults between 2018 and 2021
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Virginia may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.
Breaking down the findings from America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report
The latest findings highlight some of the greatest health challenges and strengths across the nation, with racial and ethnic disparities coming into sharp focus.
Uncover more ways to help clients save.
Discover plans, strategies and products that can improve engagement.
Find ways clients and their employees can simplify the experience, make healthier choices and lower costs.
Explore the innovative strategies that are helping make health care work better for employers and their employees.