Expanded coverage from UnitedHealthcare and SmileDirectClub collaboration
UnitedHealthcare collaborates with SmileDirectClub to provide coverage for direct-to-consumer clear aligners for dental plan members to straighten their teeth.
- All states
- Products and services
SmileDirectClub now participates in UnitedHealthcare’s dental preferred provider organization (PPO) network, making UnitedHealthcare among the first dental plans to cover on an in-network basis this new and innovative orthodontic benefit and make it available to select dental plan members.1
This new network relationship enables eligible UnitedHealthcare dental plan members to straighten their teeth by covering SmileDirectClub clear aligners.* The clear aligners are sent right to their door for, in most cases, less than $1,000,2 potentially offering significant savings and convenience.
In addition, a straighter, brighter smile helps give employees more reason to enjoy their employer-sponsored benefits while also encouraging a boost in confidence. This is among the first instances of a dental plan covering in-network teledentistry exams and direct-to-consumer clear aligners — a care model pioneered by SmileDirectClub to improve the access and affordability of orthodontic care.
UnitedHealthcare dental plan members with orthodontic coverage can start the process today, either by visiting SmileDirectClub’s website to order an impression kit or scheduling a 3D digital image at any of SmileDirectClub’s more than 235 SmileShops across the country. Through this collaboration, eligible UnitedHealthcare dental plan members can review their benefit information and potential out-of-pocket expenses with SmileDirectClub customer care. Members will soon be able to visit the SmileDirectClub website to enter their dental plan details to access real-time information and cost transparency.
As part of this exclusive benefit, qualified dental members can look forward to:
- A 3D digital image or an at-home impression kit ($0 cost with rebate);
- A retainer following completion of their smile journey ($0 cost with 6-month subscription);
- bright on™ premium teeth whitening ($0 cost); and
- A smile they’ll love in about 6 months on average.3
A market leader in teledentistry, SmileDirectClub connects people with a licensed dentist or orthodontist in their state to remotely review and prescribe a personalized treatment plan, monitor progress and eliminate the need for in-office checkups, providing a convenient and affordable way for all consumers to straighten their teeth. SmileDirectClub’s clear braces work best for people 12 or older with all adult teeth and mild to moderate crowding or spacing issues.
Dental customers can help share the good news with employees
Dental plan customers who offer a qualified Dental PPO or Dental INO plan can visit uhc.com/smiledirectclub to download and share an employee flier, newsletter article and also learn more about the relationship and benefit with FAQs.
*Not all UnitedHealthcare dental plans include orthodontic coverage.
New releases, updates and notifications for a broad spectrum of UnitedHealthcare products and services.
Important, required notices for products, plans, forms and more.
Need-to-know operational announcements for you and your clients.
- SmileDirectClub coverage is available to customers offering a UnitedHealthcare Dental Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) and/or In-Network Only (INO) plan that includes orthodontic coverage. Not all individuals are suitable candidates for clear aligners. These services are intended for certain individuals who have mild or moderate orthodontic needs.
- Cost of less than $1,000 is based on a UnitedHealthcare national dental plan design with employee-only coverage and a 50 percent orthodontic benefit.
- SmileDirectClub treatment plan average results, 2018