UnitedHealthcare will cover Humira and select biosimilars in 2023
UnitedHealthcare continues to lead the market in biosimilar/preferred product adoption while delivering savings to members and employers.
- Cost management
- All states
The availability of Humira® biosimilars is one of the biggest opportunities in years to lower costs and increase accessibility for members who need high-cost specialty drugs. Backed by a proven success in biosimilar drug management, UnitedHealthcare has announced the 2023 Humira biosimilar strategy. UnitedHealthcare will continue to include Humira on all Prescription Drug Lists (PDLs) in 2023 and will add up to 3 biosimilars to the PDLs — at the same tier as Humira — starting with Amjevita (adalimumab-atto), which launches Jan. 31, 2023.
How the strategy aims to lower costs
- Humira is the world’s top-selling drug, with U.S. sales of more than $17 billion in 2021.1
- Specialty drugs, including Humira, represent less than 2% of prescriptions, yet account for about 43% of drug spend, with continued growth anticipated.2
- Potential savings related to biosimilars could exceed $100 billion over the next 5 years.3
Humira offers a high-profile example of biosimilar competition — but it’s not the only one. In fact, nearly 40 biosimilar therapies have been approved by the FDA, spanning both medical and pharmacy benefit drugs. UnitedHealthcare continues to lead the market in biosimilar/preferred product adoption while delivering savings to members and employers.
The process includes:
- Assessing clinical and product attributes to maintain quality of care and choice
- Evaluating manufacturer capabilities to ensure supply stability
- Promoting competitive pricing to help drive lower net cost through the entire drug class
- Covering and/or preferring innovator and biosimilar drugs that offer highest value
To learn more about how UnitedHealthcare’s proven approach to biosimilar management supports better health for members at the lowest total cost, view this infographic and white paper.
Join UnitedHealthcare for a live webinar to explore the science of biosimilar therapies and their positive role in driving competition across multiple therapy classes. Webinar topics include:
- Biosimilar basics
- Market trends
- Clinical and cost management
Please RSVP by clicking one of the registration links below.
For questions, please contact your UnitedHealthcare representative.
Explore strategies for your clients
Find ways clients and their employees can simplify the experience, make healthier choices and lower costs.
Explore the innovative strategies that are helping make health care work better for employers and their employees.