Solutions for managing employee absences
What do employers need to know about leave regulations, like FMLA?
As an employer, it can be complicated to keep track of updates and changes to regulations like the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Failing to comply with state and federal requirements can be costly, with fines annually totaling more than $128 million.1
Working with UnitedHealthcare, you can implement proven strategies to improve compliance, privacy, tracking and reporting for FMLA, maternity, disability leaves and more. Rather than trying to manage the maze of regulations that vary across the country, employers can tap into UnitedHealthcare’s experience with absence management.
We can help you manage absences, like maternity or disability leaves
Using technology and expertise, UnitedHealthcare can help employers improve employee engagement, reduce costs, shorten work absences and help increase productivity.2 Our strategies are designed to address common employer concerns, including:
- Intermittent leaves and unscheduled absences
- Excessive use of FMLA
- Overlap of federal and state leave requirements as well as job accommodations associated with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and its amendments
Get to know our UnitedHealthcare absence management solutions
We offer solutions that help make it simpler to administer FMLA and state leaves, military leaves, jury duty and company leaves. You can also manage paid time off, sick leave, vacation, bereavement and other prolonged absences.
With easy-to-use digital tools and resources, you can set clear expectations about when employees return to work and help create better outcomes. You'll get access to a variety of tools and reports, including:
- 24/7 access to a secure portal for employers and managers to:
- View status
- Track leaves
- Real-time data reports, customized to your needs
- A fully integrated human resource information system (HRIS), email notification options and a leave history and calendar
Employers can benefit from our integrated approach to employee benefits
UnitedHealthcare offers an integrated approach to employee benefits, designed to help organizations combine medical benefits and specialty coverage, such as dental, vision and disability plans.
Results show up to 4% lower costs for employers who are eligible for this program.2 They achieved savings through improved employee health outcomes and increased productivity.2 In connection to absence management, this program helped generate more than $1,990 in medical savings per referral following a disability claim.3
This integrated approach enables us to analyze data to get a better picture of employees’ health, helping to:
- Increase member engagement in clinical care programs
- Improve identification of chronic conditions
- Collaborate with health care providers to help close gaps in care
- Provide employers with actionable data and deliver a simpler experience for members
Find more information about our integrated approach to health and disability plans.
State-mandated Paid Family and Medical Leave
UnitedHealthcare is developing insurance and administrative solutions to support employers with their need for state-mandated Paid Family and Medical Leave benefits and administration. Please contact your broker or UnitedHealthcare representative to learn more. In the meantime, you can find state specific information about paid leave programs using the following links:
Learn more about UnitedHealthcare absence management solutions
Check with your insurance broker or your UnitedHealthcare representative to learn about effective absence-management resources and strategies.
- EEOC website accessed September 21, 2016.
- Review of the Impact of Bridge2Health on our Key and National Account Book of Business 2018.
- 2017 Optum Bridge2Health Disability Internal Report.