The greatest health strengths and challenges in Indiana
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Indiana.
Indiana is ranked 35th in the country for overall health – which is an improvement from its rank of 41 in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Indiana health strengths
- Low income inequality
- Low prevalence of high-risk HIV behaviors
- Low percentage of households experiencing severe housing problems
- 36% decrease in food insecurity from 15.2% to 9.7% of households between 2014-2016 and 2019-2021
- 14% decrease in uninsured from 8.7% to 7.5% between 2019 and 2021
Indiana health challenges
- High prevalence of multiple chronic conditions
- High occupational fatality rate
- High prevalence of cigarette smoking
- 63% increase in non-medical drug use from 9.9% to 16.1% of adults between 2021 and 2022
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Indiana may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
Learn more about the factors impacting the health of Indiana.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.
Breaking down the findings from America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report
The latest findings highlight some of the greatest health challenges and strengths across the nation, with racial and ethnic disparities coming into sharp focus.