The greatest health strengths and challenges in Michigan
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Michigan.
Michigan is ranked 29th in the country for overall health – an improvement from a ranking of 32 in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Michigan health strengths
- Low occupational fatality rate
- Low uninsured rate
- Low prevalence of physical inactivity
- 38% increase in mental health providers from 234.8 to 325.1 per 100,000population between 2017 and 2022
- 14% decrease in excessive drinking from 20.5% to 17.6% of adults between 2016 and 2021
Massachusetts health challenges
- High prevalence of frequent mental distress
- High percentage of household food insecurity
- High prevalence of cigarette smoking
- 20% increase in firearm deaths from 12.3 to 14.7 deaths per 100,000 population between 2019 and 2020
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Maine may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.