The greatest health strengths and challenges in Montana
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in Montana.
Montana is ranked 28th in the country for overall health – a slight decline from a ranking of 24 in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
Montana health strengths
- Low economic hardship index score
- Low prevalence of insufficient sleep
- Low prevalence of physical inactivity
- 10% increase in high-speed internet from 83.3% to 91.5% of households between 2016 and 2021
Montana health challenges
- High prevalence of excessive drinking
- High Black/white residential segregation
- Low adolescent HPV vaccination rate
- 56% increase in e-cigarette use from 3.9% to 6.1% of adults between 2017 and 2021
- 35% increase in obesity among adults from 23.6% to 31.8% between 2015 and 2021
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of Montana may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.