The greatest health strengths and challenges in New Mexico
The recently released “America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report” uncovered several health strengths and challenges in New Mexico.
New Mexico is ranked 40th in the country for overall health – a decline from a ranking of 37 in 20191 – according to America’s Health Rankings 2022 Annual Report. Below is a summary of the positive and negative factors that contributed to this ranking.2
New Mexico health strengths
- Low prevalence of excessive drinking
- High supply of mental health providers
- Low levels of air pollution
- 36% decrease in food insecurity from 17.9% to 11.5% of households between 2015 and 2017, as well as 2019 and 2021
New Mexico health challenges
- High premature death rate
- High economic hardship index score
- Low reading proficiency among fourth grade public school students
- 30% increase in drug deaths from 29.5 to 38.3 deaths per 100,000 population between 2019 and 2020
What this means for employers
Employers who do business or have employees living in the state of New Mexico may want to consider programs or benefits that can help support their employee population and guide them to better health decisions.
The real people behind these numbers are what make the work ahead so critically important. Despite the challenges ahead, I remain optimistic that the health system can rise to the moment to address long-standing disparities and improve the health and well-being of all Americans, for this generation and the next.