UnitedHealthcare has launched a Select Managed Care dental plan in Tennessee for fully insured customers with group plans, effective Aug. 1, 2019. The launch is in collaboration with Solstice, a well-known dental insurance provider headquartered in Florida. The Tennessee launch is part of an ongoing effort to nationally expand UnitedHealthcare’s Select Managed Care/DHMO product offerings.
The Select Managed Care dental plan is ideal for customers who seek savings, simplicity and flexibility for both their employees and their businesses.
The plan functions similar to a dental HMO plan, but there are a few key differences:
- Members do not need to select a primary care dentist. They are free to see a dentist of their choosing in the network.
- There are no rosters and capitation payments. Network providers are compensated for Preventive & Diagnostic services as a claim.
- There are 2 different plan options for specialty care referrals:
Through the S plan, members can receive a referral by obtaining a written prior authorization from a primary care dentist, or by calling customer service. If the referral is approved, their cost will only be a copayment.
Through the Non-S option, members can self-refer and receive a 25% discount from the dental provider’s standard fee (e.g. usual and customary).
- Network providers are leased through the Solstice network.
- The network name will be identified as Solstice on member ID cards.
- The network includes more than 400 providers in Tennessee.
Product availability information
- The plan is available to fully insured groups with 2 or more employees.
- This product is contributory or voluntary.
- Dual option plans are available.
UnitedHealthcare first collaborated with Solstice years ago to launch the Select Managed Care plan in Florida. UnitedHealthcare currently offers Select Managed Care plans in California, Florida, Nevada, New York, Texas and Tennessee. To provide consistency across DHMO products, a national HMO dental offering continues to be sought.
Note: Materials are subject to change during the course of the year.