2019 PCORI fees due July 31
- Reform and Regulatory
- All States
- Fully Insured and Self-Funded
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) fee helps fund research that evaluates and compares health outcomes, clinical effectiveness, risks and benefits of medical treatments and services. The IRS treats the fee, which is effective 2012–2019, like an excise tax. For 2019, the fee is $2.45 for each life subject to the fee.
Employers and plan sponsors are responsible for submitting IRS Form 720 paying the PCORI fee by July 31 of the calendar year immediately following the last day of the plan year. Instructions for completing the form are on the IRS website.
- The PCORI fee is assessed on all covered lives — including employees, retirees, spouses and dependents.
- Customers have access to their entire population, not just the lives covered by UnitedHealthcare. Customers know which health plans are excluded from the fee and variations in staffing levels.
- Customers have access to Form 5500 for additional information.
- Self-funded customers can use the membership report from Employer eServices® to assist in the PCORI calculation.
All Savers posts the employer group’s membership information to the employer website. The employer group is required to complete and file the IRS Form 720. For general questions please contact All Savers Broker Services at 1-866-405-7174.
UnitedHealthcare, as the insurer, is responsible for filing Form 720 and paying the fee for fully insured coverage. We will submit the required payment by July 31. Our customers do not need to take any action.
Important: Fully insured customers with self-funded HRAs and FSAs are required to pay the fee on each employee covered under the account.
For more information, please contact your UnitedHealthcare or legal representative.