The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) fee helps fund research that evaluates and compares health outcomes, clinical effectiveness, risks and benefits of medical treatments and services. The fee, which is effective 2012-2019, is treated like an excise tax by the IRS. For 2018, the fee is $2.39 for each life subject to the fee.
Self-funded: Employers and plan sponsors are responsible for submitting IRS Form 720 and paying the PCORI fee by July 31 of the calendar year immediately following the last day of the plan year. Instructions for completing the form are on the IRS website.
- As a reminder, the PCORI fee is assessed on all covered lives – including employees, retirees, spouses and dependents.
- Customers have access to their entire population, not just the lives covered by UnitedHealthcare. Customers know which health plans are excluded from the fee and variations in staffing levels.
- Customers have access to Form 5500 for additional information.
- Finally, self-funded customers can use the membership report from Employer eServices® to assist in the PCORI calculation.
All Savers: All Savers posts the employer groups membership information to the employer website. The employer group is required to complete and file the IRS Form 720. For general questions please contact All Savers Broker Services at 1-866-405-7174.
Fully insured: UnitedHealthcare, as the insurer, is responsible for filing Form 720 and paying the fee for fully insured coverage. We will submit the required payment by July 31. Our customers do not need to take any action.
- Important: fully insured customers with self-funded HRAs and FSAs are required to pay the fee on each employee covered under the account.
For more information, please contact your UnitedHealthcare or legal representative.