Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip
Recipe by Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD/LD
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
- 8 oz. nonfat cream cheese, softened
- 1 (10 oz.) package of frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1 pound crab meat, drained and shells removed
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat, add butter. Sauté onion 5-7 minutes until caramelized, add garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Set aside.
In a blender, puree cottage cheese with low-fat milk until smooth and creamy. Add cream cheese and blend until smooth.
In a large bowl, combine onion and cottage cheese mixtures, artichoke hearts, lemon juice, Worcestershire, sherry, pepper and nutmeg; mix thoroughly. Add crab to gently combine. Place crab mixture in a medium casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Top crab mixture with shredded cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes until lightly golden.
Serve with Melba toast, crudities or your favorite whole grain crackers (not included in nutrient analysis).
18 servings (about 3 tablespoons per serving)
Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 50
- Calories from fat: 12
- Total Fat: 1.3g
- Saturated Fat: .8g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Sodium: 133mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 3g
- Dietary Fiber: .6g
- Sugars: .55g
- Protein: 6.2g