Eggs Sardou (Vegetarian Spinach Artichoke Eggs Benedict)
Recipe by Kathleen Zelman, MPH,RD/LD
- Cooking spray
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 (9 ounce) package of frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted
- 2 light whole wheat English muffins, toasted
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Dash salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat artichokes 2-3 minutes, covered, until warm.
- To make the sauce: combine cornstarch with milk in a jar, shake to dissolve and pour into a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat, add remaining ingredients and stir until smooth. Stir in artichoke hearts, cover and keep warm.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray over medium high heat. Cook eggs 'over easy' by cracking each egg into the hot skillet. When the whites of the egg are cooked about halfway (2-3 minutes), slide a spatula under each egg and flip the egg. Once flipped, let the eggs cook another 1-2 minutes.
- To assemble, place a layer of fresh spinach, an egg, a tablespoon of sauce with a few artichoke hearts and garnish with chopped chives on an English muffin half.
Calories from fat: 53
Saturated Fat: 2g