Mexicali Egg Quesadilla
Recipe by Kathleen Zelman, MPH,RD/LD
- Cooking spray
- 6 large whole eggs (can substitute 3 whole eggs
with 3 egg whites if desired)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 6 (8 inch) fat free spinach tortillas
- 1 cup shredded low fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium high heat.
- Whisk eggs with scallions, tomato, and pepper to blend; pour into the pan. Gently scramble eggs with a spatula to cook thoroughly; set aside.
- Coat another large flat skillet with cooking spray over medium high heat. Add 1 quesadilla topped with 1/3rd of cheese, scrambled eggs, and arugula; top with another tortilla. Heat quesadilla until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes; flip to brown the other side. Repeat with remaining quesadillas.
To serve, cut quesadilla in half, garnish with sour cream, salsa and cilantro.
Calories from fat: 88
Saturated Fat: 4g