Sweet Banana Chocolate Cookies
Recipe submitted by Pro Cyclist Lauren Tamayo
I am a big sweets person, so I am always looking for ways to make desserts a little healthier. I found this recipe a few years ago, and have received so many comments on how great these cookies are. Plus, we always have bananas lying around that are about to go bad.
- 3 large, ripe bananas, well mashed (about 1 and 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, barely warm- so it isn't solid (or alternately, olive oil)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup almond meal (put almonds in a food processor)
- 2/3 cup coconut, finely shredded and unsweetened (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 ounces chocolate chips or dark chocolate bar chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, racks in the top third.
In a large bowl, combine the bananas, vanilla extract and coconut oil. Set aside. In another bowl whisk together the oats, almond meal, shredded coconut, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks/chips. The dough is a bit looser than a standard cookie dough, but don?t worry about it. Drop dollops of the dough, each about 2 teaspoons in size, an inch apart, onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes. I baked these as long as possible without burning the bottoms and they were perfect - just shy of 15 minutes seems to be about right in my oven.
Makes about 3 dozen bite-sized cookies.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories from fat: 54
Total Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Total Carbohydrates: 12g
Dietary Fiber: 2g