Bangers and Mash
Recipe submitted by Pro Cyclist Hannah Barnes
- 1 and 1/2 pounds (24 oz.) rutabaga
- Dash of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 leeks
- 2 apples
- Cooking spray
- 2 red onions
- 12 oz. low-fat pork sausages
- 21 oz. (2 and 1/2 cups) low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 level teaspoons corn flour
- 2 level teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly chopped coriander to garnish
- Roughly chop the swede, place in a pan of boiling water and cook for 12-15 minutes. Drain, season to taste and mash.
- Meanwhile, slice the leeks, add to a pan of boiling water and cook until tender. Peel, core and chop the apples, fry in low-calorie cooking spray until soft. Fold the leek and apple into the mash, set aside and keep warm.
- Heat a pan sprayed with low-calorie cooking spray. Slice the onions and fry for 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the sausages to the pan, fry for 10 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Pour the stock into the pan and bring to the boil. Blend the corn flour with 4 teaspoons water, add to the pan with the mustard and stir until thickened. Add the sausages and onions, simmer for 3 minutes.
- To serve, divide the mash between 4 plates, add the sausages and onion gravy and sprinkle with coriander.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories from fat: 144
Total Fat: 16g
Saturated Fat: 4g
Total Carbohydrates: 44g
Dietary Fiber: 8g