Chicken and Dumplings
Recipe by Chef Marvin Woods
- 1 (2 ½ to 2 3/4 lb.) whole chicken cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bayleaf
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon flat parsley (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch smoked paprika (if available)
- 1 cup milk
1. Place ½ gallon of water in a bowl. Place 2 tablespoons of kosher salt in the same bowl and stir. This is your brine solution. Place enough brine solution in ziplock bags to fill 1/3 of the bag. Add enough pieces of chicken to allow closure of the bag.
2. Place bags in the refrigerator and let set for up to 6 to 8 hours.
3. Place the chicken in a large pot and fill with water.
4. Add bay leaf, garlic powder, thyme and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour. Remove chicken; strain and reserve broth.
5. Cool chicken 30 minutes; skin, bone, and shred chicken. Skim fat from broth. Return to a simmer.
6. Combine flour, spices together. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until crumbly. Stir in milk. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 1-inch pieces.
7. Drop dumplings, a few at a time, into simmering broth, stirring gently. Cover and simmer, stirring often, 25 minutes.
Total Fat: 13.2g
Saturated Fat: 3.6g
Total Carbohydrates: 37g
Dietary Fiber: 1.4