Light and Healthy Eggplant Parmesan
Recipe by Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD/LD
- 2 pounds eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
- 6 cups marinara sauce, low sodium ready to serve, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 12 ounces (3 cups) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
On two rimmed baking sheets covered with cooking spray, arrange slices of eggplant in a single layer and lightly spray with cooking spray. Roast the eggplant about 10 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
Reduce heat to 350 degrees.
Lightly coat the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish with marinara sauce. Layer eggplant slices, mozzarella cheese; basil and sauce; repeat layers ending with cheese. Combine Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs and olive oil; sprinkle evenly over the dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese melts and sauce is bubbling.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories from fat: 104
Total Fat: 12g
Saturated Fat: 5g
Total Carbohydrates: 29g
Dietary Fiber: 8g